An important part of being a responsible pet owner is to make crucial decisions on behalf of your pet. Seeking the services of a highly trained and experienced vet at a reputable animal clinic is one of the best decisions you can make for your beloved four-legged member of the family. At South Eastern Animal Hospital, we are well aware of how special your dog is to you which is why we place our expertise, training and wealth of experience into taking the best possible care of your best friend. We desex puppies and dogs, cats and kittens as well as a number of pocket pets such as rabbits, ferrets and rats.
Desexing puppies and dogs
At South Eastern Animal Hospital we advise desexing puppies from the age of six month. Puppies at this age are less likely to suffer from low blood glucose levels that may occur during the fasting period required before surgery.
Some of the common benefits of desexing dogs
As a pet lover you may cringe at the thought of your beloved dog undergoing a desexing procedure. However, desexing is a loving act of kindness that offers your furry friend a number of health and behavioural benefits. These include:
- Prevent unplanned pregnancies, your dog will be less likely to wander off in search of a mating partner.
- Enhance the quality of life and promote the longevity of your dog.
- Reduces territorial marking of dogs.
- Lessen the likelihood of your dog developing certain illnesses (mammary and prostrate cancer in females and males respectively) and infections.
- Behavioural problems such as aggression and roaming are less likely to occur. Roaming increases the chances of your dog getting lost or injured in fights or being run over by a car.
The desexing procedure
The procedure is performed on the same day the patient is admitted. We admit dogs for the desexing procedure on the morning of the procedure. Please do not feed your dog breakfast before bringing him or her in. Drinking water should also be restricted as much as possible before surgery.
The surgical procedure is conducted under general anaesthetic to ensure your dog does not experience pain and we take extra caution to administer pain relieving medication to minimalize discomfort post-surgery.
At South Eastern Animal Hospital we place a high level of importance on offering an exceptional service to all of our clients. We offer a superior level of aftercare regardless of the price paid. In addition to this there is no additional charge for overnight care should you not be able to pick up your dog after surgery.
Enjoy a healthier and happier dog. Get your cherished pet cat or dog desexed at South Eastern Animal Hospital, conveniently located in Clayton, Melbourne.